#DontBeDaft: The Drinking Series
It's time to put those books away and enjoy a stress-free night out in Coventry!
It's okay to have a few drinks and enjoy yourself on a night out, but it's important you keep yourself safe while doing it.
Here are our top tips for staying safe when you hit the town:
- Pre-book a taxi for your return journey; if you forget to pre-book just make sure the one you get is licensed
- Stay in a group if you're travelling at night
- Take turns designating a friend in the group that stays sober to make sure everyone else stays safe
- Never leave your drink unattended, if you're a smoker, go for a smoke between rounds
- Keep your bag zip/clasp facing inwards so you're not an easy target when you're throwing some shapes
- Don't accept drinks from strangers or start sipping on a drink you think is yours that's been left for ages - you don't know what could be lurking in there
- Keep the top of your drink covered - you don't want anyone dropping something into your drink
- Don't let strangers follow you past your halls gates, wouldn't seem so normal if a randomer walked in when you were back home
- Use cash machines in busy, lit up areas, preferably with a mate next to you if you need to get cash out
- Drink water in-between alcohol and be aware of the amount you are drinking, you'll be grateful in the morning
When you're out having fun you should also beware of drink spiking. Remember to keep in mind:
- Men are also at risk and should take precautionary measures
- Some incidents involve no crime other than the spiking of a drink, but others may involve the theft of a mobile phone or even sexual assault
- It happens even if you aren't drinking alcohol - drugs are mostly colourless, odourless and tasteless so can be put in any drink regardless of alcohol content
- Putting more or different alcohol into a drink than someone asks you for (whether it's for a laugh because it's your friends birthday or you think they need to enjoy themselves) is considered drink spiking
- You can minimise your risk by following the tips above
Keep yourself and your friends safe, and don't forget to have some fun too!
- Read Next
- Mothering Sunday Holi Drinking Awareness: Know Your Limits Affordable & Fun Activities for Students in and around Coventry Best spots for sport in Coventry Stop Smoking/Vaping Services for Students The Takeaway Dilemma for Students Tips for Students Observing Ramadan Top tips to getting your 5 A day Safe Spaces for LGBTQ+ Students in Coventry
- Numerology, astrology and horoscopes: a beginners guide Benefits of KPOP Dance Nightlife in Coventry - Best clubs and bars in the area Need something fixing in your accommodation? Fairtrade - What does it mean and why should we support? Tips When Starting Second Year at University What to do if you want to change/leave your University Course #DontBeDaft: The Drinking Series Mental Benefits of Board Games and Jigsaw puzzles Join the Party! - Stay in halls don’t commute!